|First name||François Dominique|
|Present position and title||Group Leader "Cell Death Mechanisms Group"|
Prof. Dr. rer. nat.
Institute for Ophthalmic Research
University of Tübingen
Phone: +49 (0)7071 29-87430
Fax: +49 (0)7071 29-5777
|Year ||Degree ||University ||Field of study |
|2004 - 2012 ||German Habilitation (DSc) completed 27. Nov. 2012: |
"Development and application of in situ activity assays for the visualization of neurodegenerative processes"
|University of Tuebingen ||Neuropathlogy |
|1998 - 2003 ||Doctoral thesis at the University of Hannover (Germany), completed in November 2003: “The human NT-2 cell line as in vitro model system for the excitotoxic cascade during stroke“ ||University of Hannover ||Neuroscience |
|June 1998 ||Completed biochemistry studies with the master thesis on: “Effects of Salt Stress on enzyme activities in Zea mays“ ||University of Hannover ||Biochemistry |
|1989 - 1998 ||Biochemistry studies at the University of Hannover (Germany) and INSERM laboratories in Paris (France); Studies of tropical and marine biology at the Universidad Nacional Autónoma (UNA) in Heredia (Costa Rica). ||University of Hannover ||Biochemistry |
|Period ||Position |
|09/2012 - ||Coordinator of the Collaborative Project DRUGSFORD funded by the European Commission under the Seventh Framework Programme (HEALTH-F2-2012-304963) |
|10/2009 - ||Junior research group leader „Cell Death Mechanisms Group“ at the Institute for Ophthalmic Research (Director: Prof. Marius Ueffing) |
|10/2008 - ||Project leader in the DFG funded Clinical Research group (KFG 134) on: “Inherited Retinal Diseases: Clinics, genetics, and animal models“ with a project on: “Comparative analysis on Cell Death Mechanisms in rd1 and cpfl1 photoreceptors” |
|10/2007 - 09/2008 ||Post-doctoral fellow at the Tübingen Centre for Ophthalmology, Institute for Ophthalmic Research (Germany); several research visits (up to 6 weeks) to the Ophthalmology Department at Lund University (Sweden) |
|2004 – 2007 ||August 2004: Position as post-doctoral fellow (Marie Curie stipend) in the Ophthalmology department at Lund University (Sweden) |
|2003 – 2004 ||Post-doctoral position at the School of Veterinary Medicine in Hannover (Germany) |
- French, Spanish, German, and English; fluent written and spoken (academic level)
- Basic knowledge of Swedish
|04/2017 ||Targeting cGMP-signaling in inherited retinal degeneration: From basic research to clinical translation, ProRetina Meeting, Potsdam, Germany |
|05/2015 ||Retinitis Pigmentosa: Excessive cGMP signalling in Pde6a and Pde6b mouse mutants drives retinal degeneration. ARVO conference, Denver, USA |
|06/2014 ||Developing New Drugs and Delivery Systems for the Treatment of Inherited Retinal Degeneration: The DRUGSFORD Project, International Symposium on Ocular Pharmacology and Therapeutics (ISOPT), Reykjavik, Iceland |
|10/2013 ||Mécanismes de mort cellulaire et caractéristiques temporelles dans la rétinite pigmentaire. Société de Génétique Ophtalmologique francophone (SGOF) conférence, Montpellier, France |
|05/2013 ||How long does a photoreceptor take to die? Temporal characteristics of neuronal cell death in the retina. ARVO conference, Seattle, USA |
Organization of Academic Events
|06/2017 ||Co-Organizer of the Vision Camp conference for young researchers in vision science (website), Castle Wildenstein, Germany (also in 2016, 2014, 2012, 2010). |
|06/2012 ||Symposium on retinal degeneration mechanisms at the 2012 International Society for Eye Research (ISER) meeting, Berlin, Germany |
|04/2011 ||Symposium on photoreceptor cell biology at the 2011 German Neuroscience Society Meeting (together with Uwe Wolfrum, Mainz University), Göttingen, Germany |
Academic Teaching and Services
|05/2012 - present ||Tutorial: Journal club series (Tuebingen Graduate School for Cellular and Molecular Neurosciences) |
|10/2009 - present ||Lecture and Tutorial: The Visual System (Tuebingen Graduate School for Cellular and Molecular Neurosciences) |
|10/2010 - present ||Lecture: Genetic diseases of the visual system (Tuebingen Medical Faculty School for Molecular Medicine) |
|2015 - 2018 ||The role of Ca2+ during cone photoreceptor cell death, DFG (PA1751/7-1) |
|2014 - 2017 ||Bringing Gene Supplementation Therapy for Inherited PDE6A- and CNGA3-associated Retinopathies into Clinical Practice, RD-Cure (www.rd-cure.de), Kerstan Foundation |
|2012 - 2016 ||Preclinical development of drugs and drug delivery technology for the treatment of inherited photoreceptor degeneration, DRUGSFORD (www.drugsford.eu; HEALTH-F2-2012-304963) |
|2011 - 2014 ||The role of protein kinase G (PKG) during photoreceptor degeneration, DFG (PA1751/4-1) |
|2008 - 2013 ||Comparative analysis on Cell Death Mechanisms in rd1 and cpfl1 photoreceptors, DFG (PA1751/1-1) |
- Kulkarni M, Trifunović D, Schubert T, Euler T, Paquet-Durand F. Calcium dynamics change in degenerating cone photoreceptors. Hum Mol Genet. pii: ddw219. [Epub ahead of print], 2016.
- Valdés J, Trachsel-Moncho L, Sahaboglu A, Trifunović D, Miranda M, Ueffing M, Paquet-Durand F#, Schmachtenberg O. Organotypic retinal explant cultures as in vitro alternative for diabetic retinopathy studies. ALTEX [Epub: May 9. doi: 10.14573/altex.1603111], 2016.
- Arango-Gonzalez B*, Trifunović D*, Sahaboglu A, Kranz K, Michalakis S, Farinelli P, Koch S, Koch F, Cottet S, Janssen-Bienhold U, Dedek K, Biel M, Zrenner E, Euler T, Ekström P, Ueffing M, Paquet-Durand F. Identification of a common non-apoptotic cell death mechanism in hereditary retinal degeneration. PLoS One, 9:e112142, 2014.
- Sahaboglu A, Paquet-Durand O, Dietter J, Dengler K, Bernhard-Kurz S, Ekström P, Hitzmann B, Ueffing M, Paquet-Durand F: Retinitis Pigmentosa: Rapid neurodegeneration is governed by slow cell death mechanisms. Cell Death Dis, 4, e488, 2013.
- Jaumann M, Dettling J, Gubelt M, Zimmermann U, Gerling A, Paquet-Durand F, Feil S, Wolpert S, Franz C, Varakina K, Xiong H, Brandt N, Kuhn S, Geisler HS, Rohbock K, Ruth P, Schlossmann J, Hütter J, Sandner P, Feil R, Engel J, Knipper M, Rüttiger L: cGMP-Prkg1 signaling and Pde5 inhibition shelter cochlear hair cells and hearing function. Nature Med, 18:252-9, 2012.
- Paquet-Durand F, Beck S, Michalakis S, Goldmann T, Huber G, Mühlfriedel R, Trifunovic D, Fischer MD, Fahl E, Duetsch G, Becirovic E, Wolfrum U, van Veen T, Biel M, Tanimoto N, Seeliger MW: A key role for cyclic–nucleotide gated (CNG) channels in cGMP-related retinitis pigmentosa. Hum Mol Gen, 20:941-7, 2011.
- Paquet-Durand F, Hauck SM, van Veen T, Ueffing M, Ekström P: PKG activity causes photoreceptor cell death in two Retinitis Pigmentosa models. J Neurochem, 108:796-810, 2009.
- Sancho-Pelluz J, Arango-Gonzalez B, Kustermann S, Romero FJ, van Veen T, Zrenner E, Ekström P, Paquet-Durand F: Photoreceptor cell death mechanisms in inherited retinal degeneration. Mol Neurobiol, 38:253-69, 2008.
- Paquet-Durand F*, Silva J*, Talukdar T, Johnson L, Azadi S, Hauck S, Ueffing M, van Veen T, Ekström P: Excessive activation of poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase (PARP) contributes to inherited photoreceptor degeneration in the rd1 mouse. J Neurosci, 27:10311-10319, 2007.
- Paquet-Durand F, Azadi S, Hauck SM, Ueffing M, van Veen T, Ekström P: Calpain is activated in degenerating photoreceptors in the rd1 mouse. J Neurochem, 96:802-814, 2006.